We have compiled information for you on how to prepare for a visit to a doctor or the hospital.
Instructions for customers arriving for an appointment during the coronavirus pandemic
- Please arrive in good time for your appointment, but not too early to spend time in the waiting room.
- Register for your appointment with the OmaMehiläinen app, if possible. You can also use a self-registration kiosk.
- Please maintain an adequately safe distance from other customers in the waiting room whenever possible.
- Please note that we do not currently shake hands with customers. We all practise good hand hygiene by washing our hands regularly and thoroughly.
- We must all maintain good respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette by covering our noses and mouths with a disposable tissue or a sleeve when coughing and sneezing instead of coughing and sneezing into our hands.
Measures taken at our clinics – what we have done to prevent the infection from spreading
- All of our staff members are kept up to date with the latest instructions related to the coronavirus pandemic.
- We have established respiratory tract infection clinics at our medical clinics around Finland. As the treatment of patients with respiratory tract infection symptoms is performed in designated premises, customers requiring treatment for other issues can use our services as safely as possible.
- We have increased the number of hand sanitiser dispensers at our clinics. We have also made more sterile disposable tissues available to our customers.
- The staff of all our units wear surgical masks.
- The staff of our respiratory tract infection clinics wear personal protective equipment to protect themselves from the coronavirus infection and to ensure the safety of patients as well as occupational safety. The patients of the respiratory tract infection clinics are also provided surgical masks.
- We aim to maintain adequately safe distances through various measures, including limiting the number of chairs in waiting rooms and increasing the times between appointments.
- The appointment rooms are cleaned after each appointment.
- In order to maintain good hygiene, we have removed all unnecessary items from the waiting rooms, including children’s toys and magazines.
- We only come to work if we are perfectly healthy.
- We do not currently accept cash. Mehiläinen stopped accepting cash as a payment method on 13 March 2020.
Please note that almost all appointments can be arranged as remote appointments by phone and that a variety of health issues can be treated at these remote appointments. People over 70 and people who have underlying conditions that make them susceptible to the effects of the coronavirus, i.e. people who belong to high-risk groups, should avoid unnecessary close personal contacts during the pandemic, which is why any non-urgent matters concerning their treatment are processed at remote appointments.
We currently treat patients with respiratory tract infections only at Digital Clinic and at designated respiratory tract infection clinics. We have also added a symptom survey to our online appointment booking service to help us provide instructions to all patients with respiratory tract infections to seek medical care at the designated premises and service channels, separate from other customers.
How to book an appointment
- You can book an appointment with a doctor or the laboratory online or by calling our customer service. The customer service telephone number is open for calls 24/7.
- If you use our online booking, you can view free appointment times in your area and select a suitable time. You can learn more about our doctors and other specialists by clicking on their names.
- When you have selected an appointment time, you can request a confirmation by e-mail or text message.
- At present, all appointments can be booked as telephone appointments.
If you need an appointment for surgery at our hospital, this will be booked during a visit to a doctor, or we will call you to schedule the surgery.
How to cancel an appointment
- If you are not able to come to your scheduled appointment, please cancel no later than on the previous day.
- If you have booked your appointment online, you can cancel through the link in your booking confirmation or in the OmaMehiläinen online service.
- You can also cancel your appointment by calling our customer service number.
We reserve the right to charge for appointments cancelled late or not cancelled at all (‘no-shows’). We will also charge a service fee of EUR 15 for the cost associated with scheduling and invoicing.
Call request for a doctor
You can request a call from a doctor or another professional at Mehiläinen or agree with a doctor or specialist that they call you—for example, to inform you of your test results.
When we call you from Mehiläinen, your phone will display the number of the clinic. If we cannot reach you, we will try to call again. We will try to reach you twice. If we cannot reach you after two attempts, you can book a new phone appointment through our online booking or by calling our customer service.
Registration for appointments
- Please arrive approximately 10 minutes before your appointment.
- You can register through Mehiläinen’s mobile application, at the clinic or by scanning your Kela card in a self-service registration kiosk.
- When you come to Mehiläinen for the first time, you should register at the clinic. You will be given a form concerning shared use of patient registers, which you can fill in while waiting.
The final price for a visit can usually only be specified when all the necessary examinations and treatments have been completed. In the price list, you can see the average doctor’s fees. If you bring your Kela card to the clinic, the Kela reimbursement will be deducted from the final sum before you pay.
If you pay for your visit yourself, you can pay:
- with a chip card, either as a debit payment directly from your bank account or as a credit payment. Older magnetic stripe cards can no longer be used.
- in installments, if you have a larger sum to pay. You can learn more about the Svea instalment payment option here or ask at the cash register.
We do not accept cash. Cash was abandoned as a payment method at Mehiläinen from 13 March 2020.
Opening hours and contact details
You can find information about our clinics and their opening hours on our clinics page and in our online booking service. In the service, you will also find the addresses of our clinics, instructions for how to get there and maps.
You can view your health information in OmaMehiläinen
After you visit, you can view information about previous visits, examinations and your prescriptions in OmaMehiläinen. OmaMehiläinen also helps you keep track of your own and your children’s vaccinations.
Handle your medical matters by phone
In the OmaMehiläinen mobile application, you can handle your medical matters quickly and easily. In the application, you can
- book an appointment for yourself or a family member
- view your own health information, such as laboratory results
- register for your appointments